The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Take a Few Steps to Catch the Attention of a College

According to College Data, these are some of the academic and non-academic things that colleges look for when accepting students.
Broderick Doolittle

As Dakota Ridge seniors prepare for graduation, the pressure of getting accepted into their future colleges is at the top of their minds. Although this may be stressful, there are several things that seniors can do to give them an advantage and stand out among their peers.

On top of having a good GPA, getting a high SAT or ACT score can give students an advantage over other students applying to the same colleges. A slightly higher score could mean the difference between being accepted or not accepted into some colleges. Some of the more advanced colleges require a specific SAT or ACT score to even consider accepting a student. An example of this is how the Air Force Academy requires an SAT score of at least 1320-1470 and an ACT score of at least 28-33.

According to CliffsNotes, the average score for the SAT is roughly 1050 and the average ACT score is roughly 21. (Broderick Doolittle)

“We are test-optional, so it is completely optional to submit test scores as they can be more helpful for competitive majors,” University of Colorado Boulder’s assistant director of admissions Israel Sanchez said.

Outside of grades and test scores, there are several other factors that colleges take into account when accepting students. Colleges look for evidence that the people they accept into their college are good, hard-working individuals. There are countless things that students can do to catch the attention of colleges.

“Extracurriculars such as clubs, jobs, volunteering, and leadership opportunities are all things that can really make an applicant stand out,” Sanchez said.

Proficient and thoughtful college essays can also sway a college’s decision to accept a student. A well-constructed, passionate, and professional college letter can convince an admissions officer that a student would benefit from and be a benefit to their school. College administrators want students to convince them that they are a good fit for the school and that they will be able to grow and improve with time.

“We look for college-level writing and personal growth and/or reflection,” Sanchez said.

According to Appily.com, the average college acceptance rate in 2021 was recorded as being around 70.1%. (Broderick Doolittle)

Applying for a college can seem daunting, but it’s a rewarding process. Students will be accepted into some colleges and will be denied by others, but if they work hard and are determined, they will find the right college which could leave an impact on their career for the rest of their life.

“Stay patient, work hard, and use your resources,”  Sanchez said. “It will pay off soon!”

When looking for a college, students should remember that even if they don’t get accepted into the exact college that they want, there are plenty of other options.

“It is important to find a college that is best for you and will get your career off to a good start,” Jeffco district registered nurse Amy Doolittle said.

Different colleges have different requirements, so even if a student doesn’t fit into the standards of one college, they might fit into another.

High school seniors and juniors could benefit from making an effort to stand out among their fellow students as it could open up their college options and allow them to be accepted into various potential colleges. The steps they take to attract colleges now can impact someone’s career for a lifetime.