The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Meet the Staff: Peggy Cooper

Ms. Cooper is always right in the middle of the office with a bowl of candy for any student who comes to say hi. 
“My desk is in the middle of the main office, so I get to interact with all of the students and staff who come through and help them in any way that I can,” Cooper said.
Sara Pfitzer
Ms. Cooper is always right in the middle of the office with a bowl of candy for any student who comes to say hi. “My desk is in the middle of the main office, so I get to interact with all of the students and staff who come through and help them in any way that I can,” Cooper said.

Peggy Cooper has been working behind-the-scenes at Dakota Ridge scheduling and planning athletics since 2022. Her day is filled with communicating between opponents, officials, coaches, parents, and athletes. She works alongside Mr. Heckel as the athletic secretary, so she gets to interact with every student who comes through the office.  

Q: What is your favorite part about your position at Dakota Ridge High School?

A: My favorite part of the job is celebrating our incredible student-athletes. I get to plan two very exciting events, College Signing Day and Legacy of Champions, our end-of-year awards banquet. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing kids celebrated for what they love to do!

Q: What is your least favorite part about your job?

A: Eligibility checks. They are necessary, but I feel bad every time I hit send on those eligibility emails to the coaches!

Q: What did you do before working at Dakota Ridge?

A: Prior to working at Dakota Ridge, I was a researcher and technical writer for an engineering consulting firm. I returned to the firm in 2021 after six years of staying home with my kids. I realized quickly after returning to the office full time that I wasn’t ready to be away from home from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.! I happened to check a Jeffco job board and saw that the athletics position was available right up the street from my house. It has been incredible having the same schedule and breaks with my kids.

Cooper began college at the University of Illinois and ended at Colorado State University. She originally studied elementary education but ended up finishing with a degree in Sociology. (Reiley Costa on Unsplash https://unsplash.com/photos/a-person-in-a-garment-ug4X8kVZjpw?utm_content=creditShareLink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=unsplash)

Q: If you could pick any other job here, which would it be and why?

A: I would love to be Mrs. Goetz! I love children’s literature and initially thought that I would be a children’s librarian.

Q: What do you like to do outside of work?

A: I love playing tennis, baking, and spending time with my husband and three darling kids.

Q: What is your life motto?

A: Get busy living or get busy dying.

Q: What is one interesting fact about you?

A: I love all things spooky! When my husband and I met, we bonded over our deep-seated love of Stephen King. We took it to the extreme by honeymooning at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (the inspiration for The Shining), and we also got matching Stephen King tattoos on our 13th anniversary.