The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Plans for Prom Persist Year-long

Hannah Busing on Unsplash
After Prom includes bowling, arcade games, virtual reality games, casino tables, drawing prizes, ropes courses, and food.

Prom is an exciting time for all upperclassmen; it is the one night where there is an excuse to participate in fancy activities with a date or friends. Even though Prom is only one night out of the year for most attendees, the planning of the event starts a year in advance. 

“We started planning this time last year. When Prom was happening last year, the planning for the following year began, and we have been off and on planning since the beginning of the year,” DRHS junior Owen Robertson said. 

The planning process is actually much more complicated and time consuming than most realize. There are so many factors that need to be taken into account.

Phoebe Hitchcock, Cora Torbet, Jaiden Miller, Izzy Amos, and Owen Robertson (all DRHS juniors that helped plan the Prom), shared their experiences to help people better understand the planning process. They said they have to book a venue, gather the decorations, finalize the vendors, book catering, book a DJ, talk about rules that the venue enforces, advertise the Prom, get chaperones, plan the assembly, plan the spirit week, and much more. 

The theme and venue are very important to the entire set up of Prom. From the many different venues to choose from, it can be hard to narrow it down. 

“To decide a venue we look through the list of approved locations we receive, and we have to call for availability in order to book a venue,” DRHS junior Izzy Amos said. 

The theme is then decided after the venue is booked.

“We try to base the theme off of the venue. This year we went to the venue and came up with ideas for the theme,” Robertson said.“This year’s theme is Old Hollywood because prom is at Vehicle Vault which gives the vibes of Old Hollywood.”

A professional photographer will be available to all students, and a free download of the photos will be provided. (Todd Cravens on Unsplash)

Considering the amount of things needed to plan this event, the cost is a big factor. The funds usually come from previous school activities that are done earlier in the year. 

“A lot of events from Homecoming week pay for Prom,” Robertson said. “Most of the funds from Mr. Dakota go towards After Prom.”

Students that want to get involved in this planning for the upcoming years can join Student Government as a junior. The juniors in Student Government are the ones that plan Prom. To join Student Government see PE teacher Jennessa Horan for details.

Prom this year will be held at Vehicle Vault in Parker from 8-11 p.m., on Saturday April 13th. To attend, students must have at least 90% attendance. To bring a guest, the guest form must be turned in by April 12th to the main office. After Prom will be held at Main Event in Highlands Ranch from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., and students do not need to attend Prom to attend After Prom. Tickets are $50 each and can be purchased online through student fees or in person at the door.