The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

After the First Year of a Digital SAT Receptions Seem…Mixed

Dakota Ridge High School held its first ever digital SAT and PSATs on April 17 and 18, 2024.
Broderick Doolittle

One of the main reasons behind College Board making the major decision to depart from the traditional SAT format includes the new online features intended to improve student scores. Some of these new features include a test timer, a built-in calculator, a highlighter to annotate, and the ability to bookmark and revisit questions. The new format also helps the school recover student scores within only two weeks of taking the test.

Although the new format was intended to make the testing process easier for students, opinions on the changes are mixe.,d with many people still preferring the paper SAT format. (Shutterstock)

Some students say that the test felt too easy with the changes, some say that the changes did not have much of an effect on their scores, and some students argue that the digital format made the test more stressful.

“I didn’t like the digital SAT as much,” junior Emily Friesen said. “The timer on the test also stressed me out.”

Similar to MAP testing, SAT questions now adapt to student proficiency and their answers on previous questions. Another notable alteration of the test structure is the removal of the no-calculator portion on the math section which is intended to make the test easier for students.

“The second part of the math test felt almost too easy this year,” sophomore Kaylee Walls said. “I like the changes, and SATs felt a lot better this year. It was less stressful.”

DRHS staff is still processing the effectiveness of this new format.

The shorter test time also seemed to be well received, a popular change among both school staff members and students alike. (Science | HowStuffWorks)

“I heard feedback from staff and students. They liked the ½ day testing and the remainder of the day off,” DRHS assessment/data coach Kay Newcomer said. “This gave both staff and students a well-needed break.”

Students were given the opportunity to do a digital practice test in order to become familiar with the new changes and adjustments made on the new format.

“Students seemed very comfortable with the platform as 99% of them had taken the opportunity to do a practice test and learn the online features in addition to doing the digital readiness check,” Newcomer said.

Many Dakota Ridge students and staff members have ideas about changes the test could make to further help students.

“From the proctor standpoint, I wish that Bluebook and the Test Day Toolkit in College Board could interact so proctors could take a deeper look at where students were at in the testing process and even pause a student test if they needed to go to the help room,” Newcomer said.

The virtual SAT format is still a work in progress and is bound to change, adapt, and include necessary updates to better serve the students and staff members in the future.