The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

April Editors Picks

Favorite Prom Dinner Place:

Photo by Zoey Li on Unsplash

Sara:

Prom is one of the biggest events in high school, and it’ll always be memorable. That, however, doesn’t mean that you need to go eat at a fancy restaurant and spend one hundred-plus dollars. A simple dinner at Sonic can be just as fun! If you’d like to go all out, restaurants like Mt. Fuji are worth the money. The most important thing is to have fun and eat somewhere that you’ll enjoy the food and the memories.  

Photo by Jay Wennington on Unsplash

Payton: 

The place you choose for Prom dinner seems like a make or break for your Prom night, but I am here to tell you it really does not matter that much. Whether you want to spend more at a place like The White Chocolate Grill, or just go pick up some Chick-Fil-A on your drive to the dance, both are amazing in their own way. Prom is already expensive as it is, so you can spend a lot or a little on Prom dinner and it won’t change your night. My suggestion is to eat something that you know sits well in your stomach, and don’t overeat because you will be dancing around all night and you don’t want your stomach to hurt.  

Favorite Book Series: 

https://www.alexandrabracken.com/darkestminds

Sara:

Despite not being the biggest reader, one of my favorite book series is The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. Released in 2012, the book depicts a young girl named Ruby navigating through a new world where teenagers suddenly develop powers. The government begins organizing the teens into categories based on their abilities and detains them in camps. Ruby escapes her camp one night and joins a group of runaways who are trying to get to a safe haven. The book combines science fiction and dystopian elements to create a thrilling story. 

Barnes & Nobles

Payton: 

While I have not have read these books in a while, The Hunger Games book series by Suzanne Collins will probably be my favorite for a very long time to come. The book displays a dystopian society where, every year, two teenagers are picked from each district to fight to the death, with only one remaining. While the movies are great, I would argue, like in many cases, that the books are better. You just get so much more information about all of the main characters’ lives, and you also get some of their internal monologues that you do not get in the movies. I will always love The Hunger Games, and even as I grow up, I will continue loving this series.  

Favorite Sweet Treat:

Photo by Wendy Rake on Unsplash

Sara:

I have a sweet tooth, so it’s difficult to pick just one favorite. But, if I had to pick, I’d choose homemade rice crispy treats. I recently found a recipe that uses browned butter and toasted marshmallows, which makes them taste just a bit better. In general, though, homemade rice crispy treats are my go-to. They’re simple to make, and the recipe doesn’t have to be exact. I personally like them gooey with extra marshmallows. Plus, they’re such a light sweet that I could probably eat a whole thing in one sitting. 

https://www.keebler.com/en/sweet-treat/cookies/fudge/fudge-stripes-original

Payton:

There are so many amazing sweet treats to love, but when I am in desperate need of something sweet, my go-to has to be Fudge Stripes. I love these cookies so much, and I keep a pack in my car for whenever I am in need. Although, I do not suggest keeping a pack in your car because they will melt, but if you do, I would suggest eating the whole cookie in one bite so it does not break and get all over you.

Favorite Weird Food Combination:

https://www.oreo.com/

Sara: 

I read a post, with a friend, about weird pregnancy food cravings, so naturally we had the bright idea to try all of the foods that we could. The good majority were not pleasant, but there was one I did actually like: dunking Oreos into orange juice. I’ve always liked orange and chocolate combinations, which is likely why I enjoyed the tastes together. The Oreo cream absorbs a bit of flavor from the juice, and the crust tastes a bit more chocolate-like. Honestly, it’s a pretty good combination, although I still prefer regular Oreos and orange juice separately. 

Photo by Emmy Smith on Unsplash

Payton:

While this food combo is becoming more and more accepted, I will still give it a mention, and that is french fries and a milkshake. It doesn’t matter where they are from, but I would definitely suggest getting a chocolate milkshake and dipping some french fries in there. The sweet and salty combo is great, and for some reason, these foods just work together great.