The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Dakota Ridge Welcomes Prospective Students at Information Night

Von Sluiter
The main hall is filled with families of future Dakota Ridge students as they look at the tables that represent clubs and classes.

Dakota Ridge High School hosted an Information Night on Wednesday, December 6th, welcoming prospective students and their families to explore the wide variety of clubs and classes awaiting the incoming freshman class. The event, spanning from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., provided a platform for various school clubs and courses to showcase their offerings and allow a sneak peek into the vibrant high school experience that awaits.

The primary aim of Information Night was to introduce current 8th graders to the diverse spectrum of clubs and classes available at Dakota Ridge before their high school journey begins. It functioned as a window into the realm of possibilities, allowing these students to envisage what their academic and extracurricular paths might look like.

“Information Night gives current eighth-grade families a glimpse of our school and community,” Kerry Wrenick, an SEL counselor at Dakota Ridge, said. “They get to see stuff in the building and get the chance to meet all our staff. It’s a good way to get a feel for things and to make the transition more comfortable for everyone.”

Throughout the night, participating classes and clubs set up tables lining the main hall, engaging with eager future Dakota Ridge students. This interactive setup created direct conversations between the current and future student body, enabling representatives to show off the essence and offerings of their respective clubs and classes.

Cindy Lacy and Sophia Rodriguez stand behind the Warren Tech South table during information night. (Von Sluiter)

Besides offering a preview of the school’s atmosphere, Information Night plays a vital role in the school’s enrollment. 

“Choice enrollment has really shifted things, so all schools do info nights,” Wrenick said. “And I think that it does impact how many new students enroll at Dakota Ridge. Info night is definitely a marketing tool.”

Information Night served as a platform for incoming students and their families to get a peek into the environment of Dakota Ridge High School, creating a sense of anticipation and familiarity for the future Dakota Ridge eagles.