The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Eagles Beat the Raptors for Their First Women’s Soccer Win of the Season

Rachel Parker

The Dakota Women’s Soccer team came away victorious with a 6-3 win against Silver Creek on Wednesday, March 27, 2024. With three goals from freshman Sydney Jussel, this team is looking to go far this season.

The game started off strong with a goal from junior Tatum Flynn, and the Eagles could not stop scoring after that. This is the first win of the season for the Eagles, and they hope the season continues in this direction when they soon start their league games. 

“I think the team came out really strong in this game, and we worked together well as a team,” sophomore Kaylie Sheehan said. “Our communication on the field was really good throughout the game. I feel like whenever we started struggling we just had to talk to each other and get our mindset right.”

After the Eagles’ first goal, Silver Creek came back strong, also scoring a goal and tying up the game. The Eagles felt the pressure and fought hard to score four unanswered goals at the end of the first half and start of the second.

The game was not over, though, because late into the second half the Eagles got scored on twice, so they continued to communicate in hopes of closing out the game. The last goal scored was by junior Ava Arnold off a corner kick.

The Eagles were the home team at their field, Lakewood Memorial Field, for this game. (Riley Mulberry)

“Our strengths as a team are working together against adversity and learning from each other and how we, as a team, can work together towards a common goal,” Arnold said.

After winning the State Championship last year, the Eagles have big goals this year as well. The Eagles are working to fill the big shoes left by last year’s team.

“We lost a lot of great players last year, but we have a lot of new ones this year, so I am excited to see how it goes. I hope we do well this season and win some games,” Sheehan said. 

The Eagles will play their next game against Vista PEAK Prep on Friday March 29, 2024. The Eagles will play at 5 p.m. at Lakewood Memorial Field, where they hope to secure another victory to add onto their record.