The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Dakota Ridge Beats Pomona at Senior Night

%E2%80%9CMy+favorite+part+is+the+people+I+get+to+play+with%2C+senior+Kayce+Brace+said.+I+am+surrounded+by+some+of+my+favorite+people+that+I+get+to+grow+with+every+single+day.%E2%80%9D+
Matt Heckel
“My favorite part is the people I get to play with,” senior Kayce Brace said. “I am surrounded by some of my favorite people that I get to grow with every single day.”

The Dakota Ridge Eagles beat Pomona at the Senior Night game with a score of 36-28 on February 9, 2024.

Kayce Brace, DRHS senior, scored the most points for the Eagles, totaling 12 points in the game. That was followed by Maryn Talyat, DRHS senior, who scored six points, along with five assists. 

The team’s current record for this season is 10-12. They’re ranked 31 in the Colorado division 5A rankings. The team averages about 40.7 points per game, 23.1 rebounds per game, 10.2 steals per game, and 1 block per game. Talyat leads the team with 11.8 points per game and 2.9 steals per game. Galbreath leads the team’s rebounds and blocks with 7.6 rebounds per game and 0.8 blocks per game. 

The DRHS senior players have learned valuable lessons throughout their years of playing on the basketball team.

“I have learned what leadership means, how to be accountable, and how someone can have such a great impact on my life,” senior Hannah Galbreath said. 

Throughout the past four years, Dakota Ridge has had a big turn around. For the 2020-2021 winter season the overall wins vs. loses was 2-12. The 2021-2022 school year was even smaller with 1-21 as the overall. During the 2022-2023 school year they took a large leap forward with 11-13 being the overall. 

“The program has grown tremendously from my freshman to senior year just because of the structure that we have now that we lacked in my freshman year,” Galbreath said. 

None of these seniors plan on continuing basketball in college. Galbreath has not decided on a college yet. Brace is deciding between attending Colorado University Boulder or Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. Talyat has decided that she will be attending University of Tampa in Florida. 

“My advice would be to just have fun and make the most of your time playing because once it’s over you’ll wish you were still playing,” Galbreath said. (Matt Heckel)

“My best advice for when things get rough would be to stick it out and not give up so quickly,” Talyat said. “Everything takes time and practice to get good at it.”

The girls’ next game is the last league game for this season. They’ll play at home on Thursday, February 15th, at 6 p.m. vs. Golden.