The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Dakota Ridge Eagles Lose to Poudre in Hockey

Broderick Doolittle
The game ended with a victory for Poudre, giving them their sixth win this season.

Dakota Ridge lost 7-0 against Poudre School District on January 6, 2024, at the Foothill Ice Arena. The Eagles fought hard throughout the game, but the Poudre School District was tough to beat.

Poudre had a strong start in the first period against Dakota, as they took a commanding lead by scoring two points early in the game.

Right after first period, there was still hope.

“The game is a bit lopsided and Poudre definitely holds a strong lead right now,” hockey referee Michael Connor said. “However, Dakota could still make a comeback.”

Prior to the game, all of the players, coaches, referees, and people in the audience take a moment of silence while the National Anthem plays.
(Broderick Doolittle)

But, during the second period of the game, Poudre scored another four points against the Eagles which allowed them to secure their strong lead.

“I don’t think Dakota is going to win this one,” audience member Bryan Doolittle said. “However, all of the players are playing hard and putting in a lot of effort.”

Dakota continued fighting to stay in it throughout the game, but when Poudre scored their final goal in the third period, the game was too far out of reach.

“As a referee, I get to work with a lot of great guys, and the players have a lot of fun,” Connor said. “It’s awesome to see the kids grow and improve, and I can tell everyone is having a lot of fun at the game today.”

Both teams played with diligence and determination in the game creating an exhilarating event for their friends, families, and fans in the audience.

The Poudre players that scored goals in the game were:

• Junior Issac Brownell scored one point.
  • Junior Liam Charters scored one point.
  • Senior Danny Madlener scored one point.
  • Sophomore Jackson Seige scored one point.
  • Junior Haden Williamson scored three points.
Dakota Ridge hockey players skate onto the rink for their 3rd and final period. (Broderick Doolittle)

“I love how physical, fast-paced, and team-dependent hockey is,” Doolittle said. “During the game today it was evident that each and every player pushed themselves and worked hard for a win.”

The next game for the Eagles is against Lewis-Palmer on January 17, 2024. This will take place at 8:30 p.m. at the Foothills Ice Arena.