The Student News Site of Dakota Ridge High School

The Cord News

The Cord News

The Cord News

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Karina Wilson Helps Seniors Get Into College

Broderick Doolittle
Wilson works on getting applications sent to colleges for the seniors. “The hardest part of college application season is that each college wants something different,” Wilson said. “It’s difficult getting students to fit a college’s specific criteria.”

For the seniors of Dakota Ridge High School, it is college application season. Students are preparing for the next chapter in their lives, and school counselor Karina Wilson is there to help.

Wilson is working hard to submit student college applications to guide students in making it into whatever college or job they want, as well as to provide emotional support to anyone who needs it.

“The best part about my job is helping students set goals and achieve those goals,” Wilson said. “I love helping students get into their dream college or job.”

Wilson’s co-workers have shown an appreciation for Wilson’s hard work, kindness, and respect toward others.  

“The best thing about working with Mrs. Wilson is her intelligence and compassion towards others,” counselor Nile Smith said. “She is also hard-working, accountable, and respectful to others. I respect her for her differing opinions and ability to share her thoughts and ideas with others.”

Wilson has admiration and respect for all the students and staff in the Dakota Ridge community.

“The best part of working at Dakota is how positive the community is,” Wilson said.

Dakota Ridge displays photos of high school graduates. “At this point in the year, students should work hard and finish the year off strong,” Wilson said. “It is also important for students to look after themselves and try to reduce stress levels.” (Broderick Doolittle)

For Wilson and many other counselors, college application season can be an especially demanding and difficult time of the year. Counselors work hard to ensure that several applications are submitted for each and every senior applying for a college in a limited time frame.

“College applications impacted my job because it gave me deadlines that have to be met before application season ends,” Wilson said. “There are a couple thousand college applications being sent out this year because usually each senior applies to three or four colleges.”

Wilson, as well as the other counselors, not only works to submit applications in the time frames given but also to ensure that students maintain manageable stress levels at this taxing and difficult time.

Even though counselors are responsible for identifying issues that impact student performance such as social issues, behavioral issues, and providing counseling to students, counselors also have many other responsibilities. College applications, though, appear to be their main focus right now.

The counseling room displays a map indicating where Dakota Ridge staff members attended college in the past. This demonstrates that the school staff also had to attend college and can sympathize with the stress of applying for colleges and jobs. “Before Dakota, I was a high school English teacher,” Wilson said. (Broderick Doolittle)

In terms of cost, submitting applications can vary.

“College applications usually cost $50,” Wilson said. “They can go up to $75 if we send AP scores.”

The counselors of Dakota Ridge are putting hard work and effort into helping students make it into whatever college they want to go to as well as providing emotional support to students in need. Their dedication to supporting students is admirable and is likely giving a lot of relief to students who are struggling with applications. The counselors have shown to care about their students and staff and want to help them with anything they need.