Dakota Ridge Women’s Soccer Team Secures the State Title

Dakota Ridge womens soccer team wins the 2023 4A State Championship.

Photo Credit: Chelsea Hitzges

Dakota Ridge women’s soccer team wins the 2023 4A State Championship.

Payton Tanner, Editor

The Dakota Ridge Women’s soccer team has won the state championship for the first time since 2003. Dakota Ridge played Lutheran at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on May 23 for the state championships. Dakota Ridge came out of the game with a 2-0 victory over Lutheran. 

“The energy in the stands was unmatched. I have never felt anything quite like it. We all kind of felt the same energy and had a strong feeling that Dakota would win, but when those last few minutes started, I think all of us were holding our breath the entire time,” junior Nayomi Johnson said. 

The women’s soccer team has had many other successes this season. From winning the League Title, to also having five players on the First Team All Conference, this season has been filled with excitement and is the first time that the women’s soccer team has had a winning record and championship titles in a very long time. 

“I think communication and hard work pushed our team to winning because we were able to work together well and effectively. I can’t even put into words the excitement I am feeling because we won state,” sophomore Ava Arnold said.

Senior captain Kassidy Spencer carries the State Championship trophy to the fans after a 2-0 win against Lutheran. (Photo Credit: Chelsea Hitzges)

The second goal to secure the State Title was scored by senior Bailey Pignatore as she headed it in the goal after a corner kick. The fans and players went crazy as they were just one step away from a State Title. This was the last game for many of the players,  including senior Hannah Arnold who got to play with her younger sister Ava Arnold.

“It was really fun getting to play with my sister this season, I enjoyed it a lot. I love playing with her and getting to have this experience before she goes off to college,” sophomore Ava Arnold said. 

“Playing with the team this year has been so fun, and I am so sad it is ending, but there could not be a better way to end than with a State Championship,” junior Jordan Whiteaker said. “I will always remember this team and the bonds we have created, and I am so excited to be able to say that we are State Champions.”

Correction: an earlier version of the story listed 2011 as the last state championship.