Dakota Ridge Hosts Annual Blood Drive

Blood donations still accepted elsewhere

According to Vitalant.org in order to donate blood you must be at least 16, weigh at least 110 pounds, be in good health, eat within 2 hours ahead of your donation, drink plenty of liquids, and wait at least 8 weeks between whole blood donations.

Payton Tanner, Editor

Dakota Ridge hosted its annual blood drive on February 28th. Students, teachers, and administrators donated blood for Vitalant Blood Donation services. This is an important event, as it gathers many people together to participate in something bigger than themselves by helping someone in need.

“I feel like I am doing my tiny bit to help in any area where there are blood shortages, whether catastrophes that occur and blood is needed, during emergency surgeries, whatever the instance may be,” principal Kim Keller said. 

There are so many benefits to donating blood, as you have the ability to help so many people who are in need. According to American Red Cross: Blood Services, blood donations are vital to help patients survive surgeries, cancer treatments, chronic illnesses, and tragic injuries. But only approximately 3% of people who are eligible donate blood yearly. 

Dakota Ridge principal Mrs. Keller gives blood at the school’s annual blood drive.

As stated by Rasmussen University, there are many benefits to those who choose to donate blood. These benefits include revealing potential health problems, reducing harmful iron stores, reducing risk of developing cancer, helping your liver stay healthy, and many other benefits.  

“I choose to participate in the blood drive because I really want to help people, and I want to be able to do as much as I can to just help people,” junior M. Moen said. 

Each part of a person’s blood can be used including plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.

At the Dakota Ridge blood drive, students older than 16 are eligible to give blood with parent permission, while students 18 or older are able to give blood without parental permission. This clearly limits the amount of blood being donated in high schools, but those who are willing and able to give blood do have a unique opportunity in schools. 

For those who missed this year’s blood drive, you can still donate to Vitalant Blood Donation- Littleton, Octapharma Plasma, Talecris Plasma Resources, and many others. Remember that donating blood only takes a short time out of your day, but the blood you donate can help many people.