BEHIND THE SWEETS

Ezre Sagen, Staff Writer

The partly cloudy sky did nothing to dampen the spirits of children, adults, and teens alike. All abuzz with excitement waiting for Dakota Ridge High School’s annual homecoming parade to start, children line up with anticipation as the parade begins and the cheering starts.

Let’s rewind for a minute. No, a day. For some, a week. For others, a month. Most people know what the parade is but could they tell the time and effort put into putting on something such as a parade? Club sponsors take care of a lot to be in the popular parade, such as finding a trailer, truck with a hitch, and an adult 21 or older to drive. “[I] arrived at six in the morning with Lorrie [so the] pick up would be available in the lot by seven,” said Ms. Paez, the sponsor of the Dakota Ridge International and Diversity Club. “[I] paid a $100 deposit plus $5 damage insurance.”

Sponsors aren’t the only ones working hard. Club presidents also work tirelessly to prepare. They help pick out materials and organize when and how the floats will be set up.

“I had to let my co-president take the responsibility as the other co-leader and then take GSA, decipher out roles and go a lot of decorating myself as a leader,” said Jasmine Davis (12), the president of both the International and Diversity Club.

The sun began to crack through the clouds as the parade came to a close. Children celebrated as they looked into their bags full of candy, laughing and smiling all the while. Despite the undesirable weather, the parade was once again a success for 2018.