Daylight Savings All the Time? Here’s What Might Happen.

The Sunshine Protection Act guarantees enjoying an entire year of Daylight Savings, not having to set our clocks back.

Ivana Cajina (Unsplash)

Hannah Martin-Edmonson, Staff

The United States Senate passed legislation on Tuesday that would make daylight saving time permanent beginning in 2023, terminating the twice-annual clock changes in favor of brighter afternoons and more economic activity. 

The Sunshine Protection Act was unanimously adopted by voice-vote in the Senate. The law must yet be passed by the House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on it before it can be given to President Joe Biden for his signature, though it has been said that Biden is more of an evening person, now not knowing if he will pass the bill. 

Daylight saving, according to Google, is “A period between spring and fall when clocks in most parts of the country are set one hour ahead of standard time.”

However, keeping standard time helps us sleep better and is better for our heart and our weight, along with the fact that it reduces alcohol and tobacco intake, the incidences of cancer would drop. 

The Senate unanimously passed the legislation that would end the changing of clocks, but we are still waiting for that final step of Biden signing the new bill. (@joebiden (instagram))

On the other hand, daylight saving time, according to the Department of Transportation, could save energy, decrease traffic accidents, and lower crimes. Our circadian rhythms (our physical, mental, and behavioral actions that change within 24 hours), can be disrupted by daylight saving time, though, making us less aware and exposed to diseases or accidents. 

The idea behind daylight savings was that it would be an energy savings (e.g. for most people, you don’t have to turn the lights on as early in the evening in summer). Research has shown that we have not realized these energy savings with the change of the clock. So, it makes sense to spare people the disruption and confusion that these changes of the clock cause when it has no positive benefit. I agree with this — especially if we retain the daylight saving time schedule,” Carl Christianssen, biology teacher at Dakota Ridge High School, said.

The US government claims that this change could result in energy and gasoline savings. Ended the last century, the United States (including Arizona) used Daylight Saving Time during World War I and World War II but then turned it off once the battles were over. To deal with the oil shortages of the time, a more permanent federal statute was enacted in 1973. 

Arizona, on the other hand, requested — and was eventually granted – an exemption. Here’s what would change if the entire state of Arizona reconsidered its position and chose to observe Daylight Saving Time. During the summer, instead of rising at 5:30 a.m., the sun would rise at 6:30 a.m. The sun would set at 9 p.m. instead of 8 p.m. at the end of the day. The times of sunrise and sunset in the winter would be the same.

In an article written by the Washingtonian, in the ‘70s the US already tried permanent daylight saving time — people hated it. The sun for them rose at 8:27 a.m. Practically in the middle of the first block for school. 

Arizona stays on Mountain Standard Time all year long. They made this change in 1968 due to extreme heat in their state. (isung yoon (unsplash))

With it being light later in the day, it will give people more opportunity to get outside. Better health and sleep since exercise has been shown to benefit both.  Safety is another benefit since being light has been shown to reduce accidents during rush hour. Also safer for children and adults that have an outside activity. People will be less inclined to watch TV which would greatly help sleep,” Tom Froning from Sleep Littleton, said.

Passing this bill could benefit our economy or could bring damage, but for the time being, Biden has not yet stated his position on passing this bill.