“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” Winds Up Being a Heartwarming Hit

The success of “Curious Incident” proves that the Dakota Ridge Theatre Department can tackle any challenge set before them.

Olivia Hain

Olivia Hain, Staff Writer

With the many hurdles and hoops the “Curious Incident” team was set to face, it seemed like the show itself could end up being a hit or miss with viewers. As it turns out, it was not just a hit, but a home-run.

All three productions of the rather divisive fall play went off with barely any problems other than the occasional misplaced prop or fumbled line. That’s the way it usually goes, though. High school productions are rarely ever perfect; however, this one came pretty close.

“‘Curious Incident’ was a very long ride and by the time that the shows were put on, the actors were more than ready,” assistant director Marcus Phillips (12) said. “I think that they showed the audience a good message of kindness and openness and showed what they are truly capable of.”

Evan Donelson’s performance as Christopher was incredibly well received both by casual attendees and even those who doubted the show in the first place.

“I think, overall, ‘Curious Incident’ was a huge success!” Donelson said. “On the performance end we made it through every night! But from an audience perspective, I had the pleasure of having multiple people come up to me after the show just so moved by it (most being in tears). Overall, I think the heart of the piece and the overall message rang very loud and clear over all three nights, and I’m so proud to say I got to be a part of a show that truly has changed my life and countless others.”

As the characters of “Curious Incident” grew as the show progressed, so, too, did the cast of the show (Olivia Hain)

Now the Dakota Ridge Theatre Department looks ahead to the biggest show of the year, the spring musical. This year, the department will tackle “Mamma Mia!” originally by Catherine Johnson. Most of the work will begin at the start of the second semester; however, auditions will be held in approximately two weeks.

With how arduous “Curious Incident” could be, there is no doubt that the department is ready to tackle the ambitious project.