Dakota Ridge Reopens For Hybrid Learning

Emma Matson, Staff

Dakota Ridge High School, along with other Jefferson County schools, opened back up for hybrid learning on January 25, 2021. Since November 16, 2020, the school had been shut down due to COVID-19 concerns.  The original plan was to bring students back into the school on February 1.

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, Dakota Ridge had to close its doors for disinfecting after two positive COVID-19 cases were announced. Cohort B had to stay at home instead of going in-person that day, while Cohort A stayed home as usual.

JeffCo schools returned to hybrid learning due to Jeffco Public Health Department decisions. COVID-19 case data, along with the availability of the vaccine, were factors. In addition, Jefferson County families wanted their children back in the classroom.

The risk of going back to full remote learning is still in place, however. The situations that would cause schools to return to this type of learning are the number of cases within county hospitals, the number of teachers who have to quarantine or have tested positive for COVID, and the number of students with positive COVID cases.

With this step of returning to hybrid learning in schools, 100% in-person classes could be on the horizon. By the end of this year, Dakota Ridge High School Principal

The Jefferson County Public Health Department makes all of the decisions regarding the opening of schools.

Dr. Jelinek wants this to happen, but knows other factors play a part in this decision.

“I would love to see this occur, but we have to wait to evaluate the COVID cases in our county,” Jelinek said.

For next school year, plans are not set in stone yet, including situations such as Prom. Jefferson County Schools will work with the district to determine the number of requests to go back to in-person learning. Families can also choose to have their children stay remote.

“I would hope the majority of our student population is back to in-person learning,” Jelinek said.

Back at the school, procedures are the same. Students and teachers are required to wear a mask at all times, their temperature is checked before they go into the building, and in case someone comes into the school with COVID, there is contact tracing to determine who has to quarantine. More information on this can be found on the Jeffco Highlights Guide.

Sophomore Reese Farmer does hybrid learning, and goes to school on Mondays and Wednesdays. She says online classes are harder for her because there is no social interaction, and it is difficult to ask questions. She is happy to be back at school where she learns better.

“It’s nice to be back with everyone, so it’s just like, I’m in a better mood than what I have usually been in at home,” Farmer said.

Reese Farmer(10) is a better learner with in-person classes. (Emma Matson)

Despite the one-day closure on February 2, the school is still open for hybrid learning. Hopes are up for a graduation at Red Rocks Amphitheater, Prom, sports practices and games, and more exciting school events.