Homecoming Parade Warms October’s Early Chill

Brynn Lemons, Staff Writer

Dakota Ridge’s homecoming parade on Oct. 11th ended the school week with decked out floats and candy, all in celebration of the weekend dance. The many clubs of Dakota Ridge rode down Coal Mine, tossing candy to the awaiting students of Powderhorn Elementary and Summit Ridge.

The parade officially began at  one o’clock p.m after the pep rally as students filed out to prepare their floats or walk alongside the parade line. Though a snowy day on Thursday prefaced the parade, the celebration continued despite the piles of snow and slush lining the roads.  

“It’s a really super fun time,” Jennifer Hastert, Dakota’s athletic secretary, said before the parade, adding, “just dress in layers and enjoy!”

Student Government, along with Ms. Keary Sullivan, organizes the parade yearly. From the float order to the drivers and all the participating clubs, the parade celebrates  Dakota Ridge school pride and pep. Assistant Principal Brenda Lucas helped from the sidelines, stating that the Student Government members are the real “hard workers.”

“Every year it gets better and better,” Lucas, who has been with Dakota for 15 years, says. “The community pride and just the excitement from the elementary schools and the middle schools–it’s awesome.”

This pride and excitement is felt by all, especially the Dakota Ridge students participating in the event. 

Katie Caperton, a senior, has taken part in the parade for the past two years, promoting NAHS (National Art Honor Society.) Friday was her third year celebrating homecoming week in the parade. Caperton remembers watching the homecoming parade from kindergarten to eighth grade.

“It made me really excited, and actually made me want to be in high school,” Caperton said. “It unifies the whole community.”

The homecoming parade ended at 2:30 after a loop around Powderhorn Elementary and Summit Ridge Middle School, paying homage to the final day of homecoming week and leaving the frosty October air warm with music, school cheer, and candy.